Before scanning you receipts, let’s get down to the previous step- how to preserve them… Here is an article from WikiHow which will guide you through this process in 4 easy steps.
from wikiHow – The How to Manual That You Can Edit
Whether it’s for income tax purposes or any other special reasons, people find it very important to keep track of receipts for items purchased from stores. In many companies, it’s the rule to have receipts for expenses, and that’s another reason why these small slips of paper are important to so many workers. A receipt proves an expense or cost, and in general, these tiny slips can be extremely important. At the same time, a store receipt is a very vulnerable piece of paper. It’s generally small and printed on rather poor paper stock. The ink may be cheap and can smudge easily. For those who need to preserve store receipts, some basic steps will help to make sure that all expenses are accounted for in the distant future.
- Transfer store receipts quickly from a portable container to something permanent. Receipts that travel with you in your wallet can easily get smudged and blurred, and may be illegible by the time you try to use them. Make a common practice of taking receipts and putting them in something that will not expose them stress or pressure.
- Have common receptacles for receipts. Another problem with preserving store receipts is keeping track of them. The small bits of paper get lost very easily, and it’s hard to keep them in order because of varying sizes. Having a quality box or container can ensure that these items are all in the same place when you want to locate them.
- Try some basic, informal lamination. Hardly anybody would ever want to actually laminate receipts, but a similar system might help to keep them preserved from the elements and anything else that would wear on paper and ink. Figure out creative ways to shield the paper surface from potentially destructive elements.
- One common technique is to get a file folder with several clear transparent pages, similar to something that you use for a photo album. In fact, an old photo album would be an ideal example. Putting the store receipts individually behind plastic will help keep them in good shape for future accounting purposes.
- Transfer store receipt values and identifying information into a digital format. One thing that many professionals may do these days is to scan in receipts and other documents using a digital scanner. This can be particularly important for larger expenses.
- In addition to preserving the actual documents with digital formatting, another great way to back up your store receipts is to create an easy spreadsheet where you enter the values of the expenses that you incurred during a given time frame. The spreadsheet will help provide value at a glance, where paging through many tiny bits of paper is going to be extremely complicated and frustrating.
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Preserve Store Receipts. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.
No related posts.